Fearful Neighbors

I am having a hard time getting used to them. Quite frankly, they are a bit annoying. I think I made the property look way too inviting. At first, they both took a careful glance at the house and left. Then they came back – for good. Our neighborhood hasn’t been the same since they moved in.

Mr. and Mrs. Eastern Bluebird are not the easygoing couple. After they inspected the new birdhouse, which I had set securely on the fence post of the garden, they grabbed their twigs and moved in.

I don’t want to complain about my new neighbors but she appears fearful and, might I say, slightly paranoid. Any reflection of herself sets her off into a tizzy. At random she attacks bedroom windows and car mirrors of any kind. At precisely 4:35 am, driven by the first ray of sunlight, she fearlessly seeks out the threat of “other birds” in bedroom windows. While she toils and soils, she ruins our sleep and view. He is enabling and a tad bit too nice to her. When she is worn out and tired she heads back to the fence where he is waiting to feed her a juicy bug from his beak.

I feel sad for her in her frenzy. I’d like to tell her to relax, explain to her worried mother’s heart that she along with her family are safe. If I could just take the form of a bird for a moment, I’d fly over and bring her some grubs, have a chat and try to encourage her to trust that she is ok. I’d point out that her fears are based on nothing and that her future and the future of her young are secure.

I am reminded of our God. While we flapped around in our fearfulness and sins, He came to us in the form of a man. Jesus dwelled among us to communicate God’s heart to a lost and fearful people. Jesus came to the World so that we would not have to stand before God in fear of His judgment. By accepting Jesus’ punishment for our sins and His death on the cross, by repenting from our sins, we get to enjoy a secure future. In surrendering our lives to Christ, we are able to understand the endless and beautiful love of our Father and Maker. And in that love, there is little room for fear.

“Father, thank you for your kindness to our hearts. You tell us not to fear. You ask us to trust you. Teach us that in your perfect love there is no room for fear.

“There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.
For fear has to do with punishment,
and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.”
1 John 4:18
(Devotional and Pictures Heidi Viars, 2018)

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, church, Devotional, Ponderings, Ponderings, Prayer, quote, Revival and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Fearful Neighbors

1. What a fun story! And we are well taken care of!

2. Dear Heidi, great pictures, and I love the analogy you made concerning your new neighbors. You’ve also confirmed what I suspected the robins were doing to one of our windows last year. 🙂

3. Always happy to see stories about bluebirds. 🙂

As our saga continues, I am indeed thinking about you quite often. Thank you for your constant provision of encouragement and smiles at your blog! You are much appreciated, dear blog-friend 🙂

4. krcc says:

I was confused as to whom your new neighbors were until I realized they were birds. Interesting!
    Heidi, I had just nominated you for the 3 days, 3 quotes challenge, if you’d like to take part in it. Always enjoying your blog. Have a great day!

Thanks, sister! How fun to think about important quotes. I just gave someone this one,
      “The cross is laid on every Christian. It begins with the call to abandon the attachments of this world. It is that dying of the old (person) which is the result of (our) encounter with Christ.” Dietrich Bonhoeffer
      Blessings to you 🙂

Oh, how funny. Several years ago God taught me similar lessons as I observed a cardinal. (https://nancyaruegg.com/2014/04/14/flutter-frenzies/ ) You are so right: our fears are based on nothing because our future is secure in Christ. What strong truth to hold onto when worry starts to peck away at our peace! Thank you, Heidi!

I just read your post. That’s funny. I think we think similar thoughts, dear Nancy! Don’t you just love how God is teaching us these lessons in the things we see around us? Thank you, for being so willing to share the lessons God puts on your heart. Praying for you and Steve!!

Thank you so much for this perfect example of what fear does to us . . .and why we don’t have to live that way! Yay Jesus! Blessings and love, dear Heidi!

Thank you, Debbie, for reading. I have to remind myself so often that my fears while living with Jesus are unfounded. But instead I seem to be banging my head a lot 🙂

7. Love, love, love this! I can so identify with that knee-jerk response when fear threatens to want to take flight somewhere else. But when I remember the demonstration of His perfect, grace-centered love poured out on my behalf, I am calmed and abled to settle myself into the shelter of Himself. Indeed, “perfect love casts out fear” and leaves us wholly His. Thank you, Heidi!❤️

Yes, His perfect grace and love are always available. Now, if I can just remember to run to Him … His open arms around me feel so much better than the mirror of my own reflection 🙂 Thank you, Kathie, for your words of encouragement.

8. Thank you! This is great. You must have been reading my mind before you wrote this. I need to not worry so much about my children. Gods got this! I feel like that birdy flipping and flopping from my own refection. I need the reminder that God is in controll of my childern and I just need to calm down and breathe! Thank you for this illistration!

I so appreciate you, friend. Let’s keep reminding each other that the Lord loves us and our children so much. I often forget to breathe … and that’s when the flapping takes over :-/

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )