At the End of the Day

What do I own at the end of the day,
When the sun goes down on my old, pale frame?
What do I own in this world so vast?
My house? My car? The wealth I amassed?

What do I own when I sit on my bed,
When visits are few and my vigor has fled?
What do I own when I’m there at the end?
My kids? My husband? My wife? My friend?

No! All these things they were never mine.
Had them a while, brief moments in time.
What do I own at the end of the day,
When the sun goes down on my old, pale frame?

I own the gifts that the Lord gave to me,
The lasting ones – the ones that were free.
I own my joy and the love of the Lord,
The hope and peace which no money affords.

Mark 8:36
“For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?”

(Pictures, Heidi Viars, 2019, Poem by Heidi Viars – revisited from 2013)

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, church, poetry, Ponderings, Revival, Song, Sunrises - Pictures and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to At the End of the Day

1. Beautiful thoughts, beautiful photos!

2. mitchteemley says:

Amen times infinity.

3. Tina says:

Beautiful poem! I love it! 😊

4. moheeto says:

“The lasting ones – the ones that were free.”, Oh this. This, this, THIS. Why do we work so hard for things we want to own – to possess, when none of it will ever be ours? Why when we can work to glorify the kingdom of God and be given everything? He who GAVE UP everything to save us. Such a great reminder, friend.

5. Heidi, this is Beautiful truth.

6. Heidi, your photos are stunning, and your words are just beautiful. We need to keep in perspective that we brought nothing into the world and we’ll take nothing out. The Lord owns it/us all. Thanks for this timely and poignant reminder, my friend!

Thank you for,showing us so beautifully what we own! And what we don’t! Blessings and love!

The older I get the more clearer it becomes that there is no hitch on a hearse. “Lord, help me hang on to the things that are eternal!” Thank you, Debbie for stopping by 🙂

8. Mary Sweeney says:

Love this, Heidi!
    So thankful for the joy and love of The Lord!
    Always love your pictures, but you already know that. 🙂

Gorgeous photos, as always, highlighting the artistry of our Father, and awe-inspiring poetry to celebrate his free gifts–ours for eternity. Wonderful, Heidi!

10. Amen! Such a great reminder, Heidi. I love the sunsets! Love and blessings to you!

Thank you, Trudy, for reading and leaving me with your encouragement. The Lord has allowed me to see some of the most gorgeous sunsets lately. It was such a blessing. Be blessed in what He shows you today 🙂

11. Amen Heidi! When I think about it, I don’t even own myself for I have been bought with the precious blood of Jesus! And that’s more than enough for me; oh how I love my Master!
    Very well said Heidi, and the photo is glorious! Enjoy your blessings, Jacquie

Dearest Jacquie, thank you for your kind words of encouragement. Yes, we are not our own, but bought with something so precious we could never have afforded it. YES, I am in the same place you are … I LOVE THE MASTER 🙂 You are a blessing!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )