An Instrument of God

Last night the kids and I stopped by the lake to see an amazing sunset. In all my years of taking pictures of sunrises and sunsets I have never seen anything like it. It didn’t take long and people pulled up to take shots of this amazing sight. However beautiful this sunset was, it cannot compare to the beauty of mankind.

The following poem stirred in my heart this weekend after learning more about and listening to Martin Schleske. This luthier (violin maker) from Germany has touched many lives, not only with his craft of making violins, but through his book, which he wrote from notes taken during the process of building his violins.

Skilled is Your craftsmanship – Your art
With which You hone each part of man
As instruments we’re set apart
Play songs that through the ages span.

Your hand holds tight while chisel cuts
The flaws the world has left within;
You carve Your thoughts in those who trust
The Carpenter to take their sin.

With gentle bow-stroke You can hear
The sound of each vibrating string;
You bend and press Your holy ear
Into the heart and hear it sing.

In ways that I will never know
You craft this instrument of man;
With care design his song to grow
Into Your tune – Your sovereign plan.

IMG_6401

Psalm 139:13-18
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.
(Photos and poem by Heidi Viars, 2019)

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, church, poetry, Ponderings, Revival, Song, Sunrises - Pictures and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to An Instrument of God

1. Pingback: To Be Made Whole . . . . – HisGlory SM

2. Dear Heidi, how the Lord does use you to interpret HIs presence, His work, and His beauty. You are a blessing. A familiar quote from Andrew Murray about our relationship with God, our Father, Creator, and Redeemer is that “all nature becomes a preacher.” Blessings as you keep your eyes and heart open to our Lord and Savior.

Oh my! Such an exquisite sunset; such meaningful words, Heidi. I was especially inspired by the lines, “As instruments we’re set apart / Play songs that through the ages span.” You brought to mind people of my past who greatly influenced who I’ve become. Now, the amalgamation of their influence is (I pray) becoming part of the next generation and beyond. From one generation to the next, God’s Song plays through the ages, through his people. What a privilege! What a responsibility.

Dear Nancy, that sunset was a beautiful gift to anyone who saw it. Something that might come only once in a lifetime. The rays were seen all over this part of Wisconsin. When I talked about it the next day, it struck me how many were just inches away from seeing it, watching TV or fixing dinner.
      We truly won’t be able to comprehend the circles we draw as instruments of God. Yet, each day, and each moment within it, the Lord has His hand on us to shape our lives into His purpose. Almost too much to comprehend. Thank you, dear Friend for you kind response. Glory to God.

4. Heidi, what beautiful imagery and rhyme. Words fitly spoken to be sure. Thank you for sharing the beauty of His creation with photo and word. Blessings ♥

5. Heidi, you blow me away! Your ability to help others picture God with eyes of hope in times of trial is a gift from God. Your writings, especially your poetry, always offers confidence in His loving purpose bringing us into perfect harmony with Him. As always, thank you–I believe this is one of your best! May God continue to bless you with His Presence as you love others for His wondrous glory . . .❤️

Dear Kathie, I know I should not look to the praise of man, but your words are a balm to my soul and needed affirmation. Someone recently said to me that our gifts are also an assignment. The enemy knows this and likes to tell me that I am “out of tune” and “not worthy to play the music of God”. Love you, friend … miss you 🙂

Wow to all of this! Thank you and God bless you as you keep your eyes and heart open to Him!

7. Bill Sweeney says:

Amazing and beautiful poem, photo, and the perfect passage from the Bible. It seems strange, but as I was reading this post, I began thinking about the very dark subject of abortion. It’s a destruction of God’s creation.

Yes, Bill. I don’t think that is strange at all. If a human being is the most valuable creation of all, reflecting God’s image, the place where He displays His glory, than destroying that life intentionally would be very dark and evil.

8. Wow! That is some kind of amazing sunset! Great photo Heidi! I love your poem about God crafting us like a violin. I have never thought of this idea involving how He molds and makes us, usually just the Potter and the clay. It was a beautiful comparison. Thank you for this bright spot in my day and I give all the glory to our Creator!

I think anytime we create and practice the art of craftsmanship we can find parallels to God creating us. I wonder if we are never closer to reflecting our creator’s heart for us than when we practice His presence in our calling. Your comment made me think, Jacquie 🙂

9. Heidi, what a beautiful poem! I’ve never pictured myself (and all humans) with this imagery before. I’ll be pondering your words throughout this day. Your sunset photos are stunning!

Dearest Jeanne, I only pushed the button on my phone … God was so gracious to let us see this amazing sunset.
      Through the poem I processed a truth I never really wrapped my mind around. While contemplating how God listens to us in the middle of His work in us, I was able (for the first time) to make sense of how He predestined us and gives us a free will. It makes good sense to give the instrument it’s own voice while making it into a masterpiece. There was such deep comfort knowing that while He chisels away, my cries are not wasted but heard and deeply cared for. Thanks for allowing God to use you while you write and share from your world 🤗

10. Mary Sweeney says:

Ditto to everything that Wendy said!!! She took the words right out of my mouth.
    I have never seen a sunset that amazing either!
    Keep on writing and taking those gorgeous pictures.
    Hugs

I wish we could have all watched it together … Keep on being there for all of us, Mary … You are such an encouragement to me! Sending (Texas-sized) hugs your way 🙂

11. This photo is breath-taking, Heidi. Then I read your poem and the tears pooled in my eyes. Also with being reminded of Psalm 139. The photo and poem both display how truly precious God’s thoughts are towards us. I’m so glad God led me here through your likes. 🙂 Thank you for this comforting encouragement! Love and blessings to you!

Thank you so much, Trudy, for your kind words. He is so good to us, created us, listens to us while He hones us into His beautiful work of art. You are a blessing!

12. kkrnc74 says:

Absolutely beautiful, Heidi, both the photo and the poetry. Thanks for all you do to remind us of God’s blessings.
    Kris Knight

13. Dear Heidi, this sunset and your poem are breathtaking-amazing. I’m blessed by your reminder of the hope we have in Him.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )