One More Person

Someone once said, “As Christians we stand at the gates of hell and redirect traffic.” When I contemplate our efforts as Christians in evanglism, I am reminded of the ending scene of the movie “Schindler’s List”. Years ago that scene left me undone and made (and still has) a big impact on me, a native German. My grandfather who was born in 1925 fell for Nazi propaganda while indoctrinated in the Hitler Youth. I tried telling him about the Lord in a letter, after I had come to the States and became a Christian. The letter arrived a day after he passed away. Maybe it’s because of this deep sadness over my family’s past that this particular scene etched itself onto the wallpaper of my mind as a warning and also encouragement. I think of that scene especially when it comes to my lack of motivation to speak the Truth. In many ways Schindler redirected traffic; in many ways I fail to do this.

Schindler was an accidental philanthropist though. In order to keep his business afloat and continue his pompous lifestyle in Germany during WWII, he employed Jews in his factory. The factory later became a safe haven for over a thousand Jews and kept them from a sure death in a concentration camp. In this scene, as he is about to flee from the Allies as the war ended, he has become a different man and recognizes the worth of human beings. He is overcome with a love for his fellow man. Instead of bringing hell up from the pit, as the Nazis did, he brought heaven down to earth, even with his faulty motives.

Humans bear the image of God, the Imago Dei. We are the crown of creation, each and every person, the young, the old, the able, and the disabled, no matter color, race, culture and background. Ideologies that say something different, come from hell. God expresses the value He gave us through His love for us. A great love needed a great expression. God loved the world so much that He gave His only Son Jesus to the world so all who would believe in Him would have life with Him now and forever. This was, is and always will be the greatest news.

Standing at the gates of hell sounds like dangerous business. I don’t like the heat and don’t like to tell people that they are sinners and are in need of God’s forgiveness. However, when I am moved by love, I am emboldened to speak the Truth. When I allow Christ’s love to transforms my heart I become a tool in His hand that redirects the traffic, so that He can save “One More Person”.

Romans 13:8
Owe no one anything, except to love each other,
for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, church, Devotional, Ponderings, Revival and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to One More Person

1. Jeanne Takenaka says:

Heidi, this is such a beautiful and convicting post. It’s easy to look to my own family’s needs and to choose to not see the great need in the world around me. I do want to be one who brings heaven down to earth. Thanks for the exhortation!

I get sidetracked easily. As we keep doing what’s in front of us, with the Love of God in us, may we affect people around us. 🙂 Thanks for being a light where He placed you! You inspire many!!!

2. Bill Sweeney says:

Excellent post, Heidi. More than wasting money, it’s wasting time and efforts that has been convicting me. Throughout the day I keep telling myself to focus! People are dying and going to hell while I’m watching TV. I have been watching time management videos on YouTube 🙂

You make me smile … time management videos? didn’t know they made those. It’s easy to lose focus … like yesterday when I was YELLING at the kids to be respectful! I’ll try out for mom of the year award next time 😦 Let’s keep going! We are not home yet and the Lord is always willing to show us … when we ask 🙂

I too was so impacted by that movie. But you have moved me to another level with its message. To let Christ transform my heart with love so I can be a tool in His hand for redirecting traffic will now be my prayer too. Thank you so much Heidi, for your transparency and heart for Him.

With tears welling in my eyes, I too pray in this moment to be courageous, speak the truth at every opportunity, and redirect traffic to heaven! Thank you, Heidi, for your love and passion for Jesus, for being a useful and precious tool in God’s hands, and impacting others for the kingdom–including me.

Nancy, thank you for saying what you said. We are faulty tools and often I think I am more broken than useful… But God … and Grace! Sending love your way, dear blog-friend!

5. Heidi, praise the Lord, He uses all to HIs glory. Nothing is wasted. Every little bit, word or deed, counts for eternity. This is our joy as His children. Blessings for sharing your heart and your desires for the kingdom.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )