Choosing to Remember

cropped-inside-outside-010.jpgTomorrow, we are going to get the tree. We are going to do what we have done for years as a family, walk all over the tree farm and spy out the perfect one. We may fuss a little and bicker a while before my husband will put the ax to the trunk and drag it home, where we eventually catapult it in the prepared corner of the living room.
Every year, I get out that box, the one with all the special ornaments from Christmases past. Every year, I struggle.

I struggle to sort through the onslaught of memories that suddenly, without warning flood my mind. Christmas memories from when I was a child mingle with last year’s. But it’s not just my memories, it’s my kids’ memories, adopted and biological. My husband has memories as well. So many pasts and so many different emotions, all suddenly pour into the living room and try to find a place on that tree, which often seems too small to hold it all.

This year I am convicted about the choice of my memories. I have been thinking much about how I choose what I remember and how that choice reflects my ability to forget, forgive, and to love instead. I don’t want to be ignorant about pains and hurts, but I do have a choice to let some things go and make room for good and helpful memories to be made for years to come.

“God, help me to wade through this season’s memories.
Help me to know that in remembering the right things,
I show forgiveness and ultimately Your love.
Help me to be a tool in the memory making process for others.
Help me to remind them that this season is all about Your love and forgiveness,
and in that point them to Your Son Jesus Christ.
Thank You, LORD, for remembering Your people,
and making a way for us to come to You!”

new pictures 004
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Philippians 4:8

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Choosing to Remember

1. Sheryl says:

Beautifully written . . I never thought about it quite this way, but I think that you are right. The older we get, the more we need to choose memories.

Thank you, Sheryl, for commenting. I think choosing memories is tightly related to the forgiving process. I just look at God and what He chooses to remember and the things He forgets, namely my sin. Who am I to continue to remember how others have offended me, when my Father has forgiven me of so much? Not an easy task, but with God’s help I think it’s possible! LOVE your blog!!!

2. “… I do have a choice to let some things go and make room for good and helpful memories to be made for years to come.” You are so right.

3. Jael Aster says:

This is very nice, Heidi. However, I don’t see memories as a “choice”–otherwise, no one would choose to have “bad” memories. They come, and I have some amount of choice in how I respond to and deal with them–but even that is limited to how much healing has occurred.

Glad you’re getting the tree up and decorated–I’ll bet the kids really enjoy that! God bless you all.

4. Kristi Ann says:

Amen!! Jesus ( Yeshua ) Christ is the REASON for the SEASON!!

PRAISE Jesus ( Yeshua ) Christ Today and Everyday, HE LOVES you all Forevermore!!

Merry CHRISTmas to all my Brothers and Sisters in Christ Jesus-Yeshua!!

Love Always and Shalom Everyone,

Kristi

5. JD Blom says:

Very good reminder to be mindful of the memories we linger on. The holidays seem to be full of memories both good and not-so-good. Thanks for the reminder!

6. blmaluso says:

We decorated the Christmas Tree last night while watching “Charlie Brown Christmas” and then listened to Christmas music. My spirit was filled to capacity. Each ornament holds a memory, and dates all the way back to our childhoods up till now. I was just sharing with my husband that I should take a picture and tell the story of each one so our family will know the memories after we are gone:-)

As the years go by, by the power of the Holy Spirit has filtered out the really bad and painful memories…not erasing, but softening them.

May God continue to bless you and your family. Have a blessed and merry Christmas:-)
    Bernadette