The Cloth

december 22, 2012 002

In plain white cloth of earthen yarn
They wrapped Him after He was born.
A wooden manger held Him here,
God’s precious Son, the Kingdom’s heir.

A Friend of Man and Heart of God,
There in this earth’s brown, filthy sod,
He lay and let this world behold
The plan of God for man unfold.

In plain white cloth of earthen thread,
They wrapped Him after He was dead.
He placed those linen on the ground,
As He from death Himself unbound.

For in these worldly cloths we see,
Christ keeps His own not bound but free;
That God Himself came down to dwell
In life and death – Emmanuel.

inside-outside 003

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Devotional, poetry. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to The Cloth

Inspired insights, for sure: 1) to see Jesus in swaddling cloths, and again in burial cloths, and 2) to observe that Jesus was bound that we might be free. Praise God! And thank you, Heidi, for sharing your beautiful and thought-provoking poetry-gift with us.

2. Mel Wild says:

You pretty much “wrapped up” God’s whole redemptive story in one short poem! Awesome! And beautiful, as the others have said. Blessings.

3. Beautiful sharing of the true meaning of Christmas, Heidi.

4. Thank you Heidi, beautiful post.

5. Juliet says:

What a beautiful, hope-filled poem!! Thanks for sharing. :0)

6. pattisj says:

Beautiful photo. I was sitting in church this morning, and one of the scriptures read related to “the strips of cloth” swaddling the babe in the manger, and I got this same image of Christ in the burial cloths! I’m sure there’s a devotional in this. 🙂

7. Jael Aster says:

Oh My, oh my oh my! What a lovely telling of the meaning of Christmas.

8. Wow, lovely post. Hugs, N 🙂 ❤

9. Deborah Ann says:

Heidi… This is so lovely and shows the true spirit of our Lord and Savior. Have a joyous CHRISTmas

10. So beautiful Heidi, thank you.