Like a Wall

She was holding on to my hand as she walked across the stone wall. She talked away and skipped along knowing she was safe, there on top of the wall, which ran along the path.

Suddenly she stopped. Her eyes became fear-filled and her whole body tense. Her grip tightened on my hand. “Mom, I am scared!”

The drop on one side of the wall was deep. Our path and the wall were now leading us across a deep ravine.

I tried to tell my seven year old child that she was safe holding on to my hand. It seemed no matter what I said, her fear was greater than her trust in my hand. Finally I said, “Honey, the wall has not changed! It’s still the same safe and strong wall you were skipping over just a few moments ago!” Her grip became tighter. She slowly put one foot in front of the other.

As I walked next to my child, I heard my Father speak to my heart.

“Keep your eyes on me, not your circumstances.
I do not change.

I am strong to carry you,
no matter the circumstances that draw yo
ur attention!” cropped-frosty-morning-2-015.jpgThank You, Lord, for never changing.
You were the same yesterday as You are today.
You are the same today as You will be tomorrow.
Show me how to stand strong on You.
Help my eyes to stay fixed on You.
Keep me from looking to the left or the right.

Show me how to walk in assurance and with a confidence
That You safely lead me on all paths.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
Hebrews 13:8 (NASB)
God is not a man, that He should lie,
Nor a son of man, that He should repent;
Has He said, and will He not do it?
Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?
Numbers 23:19 (NASB)
(Devotional and pictures, Heidi Viars, 2015)

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Devotional, Prayer, Revival and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Like a Wall

Thank you so much for ministering to us with the message that He doesn’t change! This really blessed me today as circumstances changed. God bless you!

Thank you, sweet Debbie. Be blessed in knowing the Unchanging, Always-Reliable, Solid Ground, and Faithful Rock. I pray He gives you glimpses of His love for you all around 🙂

2. Mel Wild says:

Such a great lesson about the deception of fear and really trusting God, which is trusting in the reality of His love and care for us. Beautiful pic too! Blessings.

3. cshowers says:

What a beautiful true life lesson from the Lord, Heidi, and what perfect timing as well. It really ministered to me. God bless you, my friend.

Love,
    Cheryl

Such a meaningful prayer, Heidi: “Show me how to walk in assurance and with a confidence
    That You safely lead me on all paths.” And I say, “AMEN!”

What a wonderful illustration and beautiful photos! I love walls, especially stone ones. I love walking atop them, too. I’m still a kid at heart. [chuckle]

6. deborah ann says:

Ah, our Rock your daughter’s “wall “is never changing only our footsteps that either lead or take us away! ~ Blessings to you and your sweet daughter for all the walks of faith you will take now and into the future ~

We have talked about this experience so much. This world is full of scary circumstances which try to draw our attention from the Solid Rock, from our Refuge and our Shelter. Thank you, sister! You are a blessing to me!

7. Great illustration and lesson. Thanks.

8. Andy Oldham says:

What an amazing lesson for both of you.

Yes, it was a marvelous lesson for both of us (and even for our other kids). We since have talked much about that lesson. Blessings to you, Andy! Thanks so much for coming by!