Impressions

This morning, some parts of the paths were still ice-covered. As I was walking, I noticed how many leaves had left impressions in the hardened snow and ice.

impressions 019Gentle impressions and their impact might not be noticed immediately.
However, over time, what they touch changes.

In what might seem hard and cold on the surface,
God can work miracles, for His glory and our good.

“Lord, teach us to be kind and gentle.
Impress Your love on our hearts and deep within our souls,
So that we can in turn touch those around us.
Help us leave impressions of Your gentleness.”

impressions 015Put on then, as God’s chosen ones,
holy and beloved,
compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience,
Colossians 3:12
(Pictures and Prose by Heidi Viars, 2014)

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Devotional, Prayer and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Impressions

1. Hi Heidi, I found your blog through Wendy’s site (Green Light Lady). I love how you are noticing God’s creative fingerprints all around you. Then you are taking it a step further by creatively sharing with others what God taught you through the experience!

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. Encouraging others to notice God’s love and constant presence is the passion of my heart. What an incredible God, who made provisions for us to be near to Him, namely by giving us His only Son! Thanks again for stopping in. I am looking forward to checking out your blog and reading what He is doing in your life 🙂 Blessings

2. Heidi, I love the gentle impressions those leaves have made in the snow, and the message you have shared with us. Jesus is both Lion and Lamb-gentle and victorious.

Blessings ~ Wendy ❀

3. Jennifer says:

I just love this! ❤

4. The impressions are the result of sunlight. The leaf absorbs radiant heat from the sun, whereas the surrounding snow and ice reflects it. The leaf is in a cold environment. Nevertheless, it gets warmer than its surroundings, warm enough to cause melting. Without the sun, however, the leaf would remain frozen. Even so, Christians must absorb the Light of the Son of God if we are to have a warming affect on those around us.

You never cease to amaze me, Heidi, how you find poetry everywhere! And you always make me think. This time, those photos prompted me to realize the following: Though it might appear the leaves are making impressions in the snow, they are not really responsible. It is an unseen process of melting and evaporation at work. (I’ll bet you see where I’m going with this!) The unseen power of God at work in our lives creates the godly impression we desire. Unlike the leaves, though, I need to be a willing participant. God gives me the choice.

Thank you, Heidi!

Nancy, I feel so incredibly blessed that God who breathed the universe into existence, would chose to reveal His heart in nature, people, and circumstances all around to my limited understanding. Oh that He would allow us to know Him more each day… that is my heart’s desire!
      I so agree with you. Those leaves are too insignificant and temporal to make a lasting impression. That is what I thought, too! It amazed me that their gentle presence made such incredible holes in the ice …
      You poke the fire of my heart, sister, with your thoughtful comments! Blessings to you, as you seek to live in His unseen power today 🙂

6. theywhoseek says:

Heidi, what a wonder our Lord is and what wonders He can do in each of us when we let Him in. ~ Blessings ~

7. Skye says:

So lovely, Heidi!

8. Widow Beach says:

Seems to be a tough one sometimes, for this “edgy” sister. God bless you.

Crying as I read this .. thank you, Heidi. I have not always been as gentle and tender as I want to be. Asking Him to help me with that today. God bless you as you share impressions of Him!

Oh Debbie, God has given you such a gentle Spirit and works in so many ways through you. Be encouraged that our God, in Jesus, is fully capable to cover each unkind word and deed left undone … I am counting on it 🙂
      Much love and many blessings your way!

10. Reblogged this on Along Life's Path… and commented:
    what is YOUR impression on those you meet today?

11. Awesome Heidi. Your photo enhances your thots perfectly. Blessings

Amen in agreement to your beautiful prayer.

13. Beautiful, Heidi. He does leaves deep impressions on our hearts if we let Him. Hopefully, we pass along that gentleness, grace and mercy that He has so generously left upon us.

He is so incredibly kindhearted to us. I am in awe of His gentleness and intimate involvement with His creation. What a God!
      Blessings to you, as He dwells in and with you, through our Savior!