A Prayer for my Brother and Sister

“Father, please strengthen my brothers and sisters

who are being persecuted for their faith.

Lord, as they sit in prisons and fear the footsteps

of their persecutors approaching,

give them Your strength.

My brother’s house has been burned and his city destroyed.

His children left alone in fear.

Lord, in his heart remind him of the Word, as he sits in darkness.

Give my sister Your Word of comfort.

Light her cell with Your presence.

Help her endure the pain and help her know that You see.

Give them endurance as they sing songs of praise to You.

Bring hymns to their hearts.

Father, forgive me for forgetting to lift them up,

and instead whine about how the music bothered me at church today

and was not what I had hoped for.

Lord, help me to see through their eyes,

count the cost, and love Your Word of Truth.

In Jesus Name”

Please check out these sites for more information on the persecuted Church …

… They are our brothers and sisters.

Voice of the Martyrs

Open Doors

Good News Remember the prisoners,
as though in prison with them,
and those who are ill-treated,
since you yourselves also are in the body.
(Hebrews 13:3)

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Devotional, Prayer, Revival, Song and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to A Prayer for my Brother and Sister

1. Yoshiko says:

Amen 🙂 Heidi

2. cshowers says:

A beautiful reminder for us to always remember our persecuted brothers and sisters – thank you Heidi.

3. A story is told of Solzenytzen, almost ready to commit suicide, to walk beyond permitted camp perimeters under the eyes of armed prison guards. Sitting a moment by a tree. A kindly young man appears out of nowhere; kneels by the prisoner and draws a cross in the sand. Then disappears, and nobody else knew anything about Him. Grace rescued!

4. This is a good reminder to all of us, Heidi. Our prayers can cause blessings of peace and joy to penetrate any ‘iron curtain’ or cement cell.

This prayer-poem gives words to our groans for the thousands (perhaps millions?) around the world who are being persecuted for their Christian faith. Thank you, Heidi. I’m going to print this blog post and put it with my devotional materials. I’ll be echoing your poignant words before our God!

6. Do we who are blessed with so many things ever really count the cost … feel so far removed from our persecuted brother and sisters in Christ at times … oh! Lord, hedge your people in … protect them, strengthen them, pour Your love in and through them. May the persecutors witness Jesus in the lives of the persecuted and be convicted. In Jesus Name.

7. natashlim73 says:

Amen! “Real love is not afraid to bleed”… Our Lord Jesus displayed that love on the cross for all of us! Agreeing with you in prayer dear Heidi! Jesus is worth the cost! 🙂

8. pattisj says:

Agreeing with you in prayer, amen.

9. ddclaywriter says:

10. I love both of those ministries, Heidi. They have their hearts on the pulse of the persecuted. Thanks for reminding us to let go of our petty issues and focus on those with real problems.

11. Caddo says:

It’s so hard to wrap my head around modern-day persecution of our brethren–I’ve only ever met one person whose family experienced that. Makes me appreciate the freedom I have. I’m praying. God bless you, Heidi–love, sis Caddo

Oh Caddo, that’s because it’s not what God has intended for His children to experience … but He promises to be with those who are persecuted for His sake … and their reward will be great in heaven! Yes, let’s thank Him for our freedom!

Thank you for helping us remember and pray today, dear Heidi! God bless you!

13. kristiann1 says:

Amen!! God Bless our Brothers and Sisters in Jesus ALL over the Earth God Created!!

14. melodylowes says:

We take SO much for granted. On this, our Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, I am truly thankful for your reminder to remember our brothers and sisters who suffer so deeply for their decision to follow Jesus…

Happy Thanksgiving to you, dearest Melody! Yes, so much to be grateful for … tell me, what are some foods Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving with?

• melodylowes says:

We had turkey with all the fixin’s – plus a variety of veggies grown this summer. Tomatoes in marinated feta, green beans, Harvard beets, corn salad. And my own variation on pumpkin pie for dessert, since I eat gluten-free – a delicious concoction with a shortbread base, spiced pumpkin/pudding/cinnamon filling topped with whipped cream! YUM!