Looking Back

looking back to the light 022

The cold air hit me this morning, as I set off on my usual trail. The sun had started to soak up the coolness of the night. As I was walking and praying, I felt so grateful even as the familiar path was winding through some darker part of the woods. At one point, I sensed a strong desire to stop and turn around. What I found amazed me. While walking, I had not noticed how beams of light had been lighting up the road behind me. It was here, looking back on the path my feet had just traveled, I was suddenly aware of these marvelous beams.

How kind of our God to light up the path. Even when we can’t see Him work, we can trust Him to do His work in and through us. Sometimes it’s not until later, when we get a chance to turn around, that He reveals to us that He has been the Light on our path all along.

looking back to the light 014Abba, Father, You are the Light of my life.
Help me to trust You, even in the places I can’t see You work.
Open my eyes to the beauty of Your presence,
even when I travel in the dark places of my journey.”

Be strong and courageous.
Do not be afraid or terrified because of them,
for the
Lord
your God goes with you;
he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Deuteronomy 31:6
For God, who said,
“Light shall shine out of darkness,”
is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light
of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
2 Corinthians 4:6

looking back to the light 011

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Devotional, Prayer, Revival, Sunrises - Pictures and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Looking Back

It’s me again! Wanted to let you know I highlighted your wonderful blog in my post today, over at From the Inside Out. ALL GOOD–not to worry!

2. melodylowes says:

Wow…how wonderful to know that our pathways are lit in multiple directions! I have sometimes turned and realized that I have missed a perfect photographic opportunity – or lesson. 😉 Beautiful, beautiful shots, Heidi.

3. Beautiful! Love the way He lights the path…sometimes it’s not until hindsight that we realize it was him! Gorgeous photos:)

4. I love it when the light shines like this. Beautiful pics! Thanks Heidi. : )

5. Beautiful pictures. Yes, His word is a lamp to our feet and a light to our path. May He give us light in the dark places of our journey.

When you posted this comment, I was matting and framing a larger print of the picture with the cabin (above) for a wedding gift … that was the verse I printed below the matting … I have been singing it since “Thy Word is a lamp onto our feet and a light onto our path …” 🙂 Thanks for this encouraging comment, Stephen

Breath-taking pictures capture perfectly the lesson of your post, Heidi. Those beams of light shining on the path behind us give hope and anticipation of more marvelous beams yet to be experienced! Praise God!

yes, Nancy … and to think that at this very moment, though we can’t see it nor feel it, God is working in, through, and around us who know Jesus … the God of the Universe intimately involved in His Creation … that’s breath-taking … Yes, praise God 🙂

7. Heidi, these photos are truly heavenly! God speaks so beautifully through creation, and you capture it so well.

8. Heidi Viars says:

Thank you so much for your kind comment 🙂

9. Stunning pictures for a great truth! 🙂

10. Shelly says:

Beautiful pictures and such a comforting thought that God is not only in front of us but behind us. Blessings!

11. Rosemary says:

beautiful thoughts and pictures

I am wowed with everyone else , to think about looking back to see Him shining His light in the dark places I have gone through. Thank you for blessing us!!

Dear Deb, thanks so much for stopping in … yes, He is with us … a light for our path … with Him we don’t walk in darkness … no matter what it might look like. Thank you for blessing me with your kind words 🙂

I love how you not only capture sunbeams, but you find beautiful applications from them. So true how we often don’t see what God has been doing all along until we are able to look back. Beautiful!

14. Anonymous says:

Beautiful meditation and photographs, Heidi. Thank you for sharing.

15. Oh, Heidi. What a lovely surprise from The Lord. Love all of these and love hearing your words, as you share with us what God teaches you. Blessings!

16. Beautiful, Heidi. I needed this today. Thank you!!

17. Nigel Carter says:

Thank you, again, Heidi. You capture God’s presence in your words and pictures. Every blessing. Nigel.

18. daniellajoe says:

Beautiful thanks for refreshing our minds 🙂

19. natashlim73 says:

So beautiful!!!! What a blessing to be able to walk in these beautiful paths Heidi! Yes He is always there lighting our path!!! Blessings to you my dear sister! xoxoxo

Thank you so much, Natasha, for stopping in. Thanks for helping us “renovate” at your blog … love what you have to say! Blessings dear one, all the way to Greece!

20. So glad you turned around and shared Heidi … very inspiring post xx

21. What an awesome thought Heidi…I never thought about it like that before! Thank you for sharing this and I love the beautiful pictures you captured!

Thank you, Hannah, for taking time to read! I am grateful God is at work, even when I can’t see it (or too busy to take to look :-)) Thanks so much for your amazing blog! You have so much helpful and practical stuff 🙂 Blessings to you!

22. Caddo says:

WOW, this struck me with the blessing of new revelation–He lights the path behind me, as well as that in front of me?! Truly amazing, our God! May He bless your day abundantly–love, sis Caddo

I was reminded anew today, how it’s good to take a peek at where we have come from … often we get bogged down with the long road ahead and forget how God has led us, even when it did not look like it 🙂 Thank you, dearest Caddo.. you bless me with your comments!

• Caddo says:

And the blessing continues! I was sharing with someone about what seemed an inconsequential turn of events–and she said, “oh! that’s like Heidi’s post about the Light behind you!” And I had to agree! That’s the fun part–when we share, someone else may pick up yet another facet of His light which we missed–I LOVE this adventure with HIM!!!!