In His Image

You sit there waiting in the street –

Your eyes so sad and tried.

They hope to catch a softened heart,

As they grab passersby.

You wonder if you’re ever loved

By someone long enough,

Or if you must leave this home too.

So you act bad and tough.

You cannot speak like others do.

You heard them say, “You’re slow!”

Such words like, “retard”, “dumb”, and “fool” –

They pierce your heart and soul.

You are the homeless, lost, and cold.

You are the foster child.

Your longing cries out from your soul –

For someone not pass by.

Forgive me if I’ve never cared

To look you in the eyes.

And told you that your image bares

The one of  Jesus Christ.

schalkenmehren, walk, lake, July 29th, 2013 013“Father,
forgive me if I don’t love my neighbor the way that would honor You.

You asked me to love others the way I love You and myself.
Please teach me, to honor those around me.
Help me treat others with dignity, respect and love,

Knowing we all are created in Your precious image.”

“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
    and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
    and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry
    and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
    and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
    and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
    and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
    you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
    with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
    and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
    and your night will become like the noonday.
11 The Lord will guide you always;
    he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
    and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
    like a spring whose waters never fail.
Isaiah 58:6-11

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Devotional, poetry, Prayer, Revival. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to In His Image

1. I love that the Lord links our healing with our helping others. As folks who go on a mission trip can attest, nearly all come home with a healing of some sort or other…usually inner healing. It’s awesome!

\o/

Thank you, Heidi, for another thought-provoking post–that “the least of these” are also created in the image of God. Lord, may I be humble and helpful toward the meek of this world. They are the ones who will inherit the earth (Matt. 5:5).

3. cshowers says:

Bless you Heidi. Your prayer is a prayer I pray as well. Lord, let me love others as You love them. Let me see them as You see them. Let me loose the chains of injustice in Jesus’ name!

Much love to you,
    Cheryl

4. Thank you sis, for giving…to us and to others. McD’s gift cards are such a great idea.

I will have to write a post about God’s miraculous provisions … He floors me every time … He is so amazing … All we do is lift our empty hands up … He puts it all in 🙂 Bless you for what you are doing over at your place!!!! Let’s keep going and keep inspiring one another, ok? 🙂

5. Heidi Viars says:

Thank you so much, Stephen, for your comment. You are so right, many homeless sleep even in the middle of winter outside … shoes and sleeping bags can be a big gift. I have started to collect five-dollar gift cards for McDonald’s … it often can provide a good opportunity to sit in when it rains or gets too cold … thanks for stopping in … 🙂 God bless you!

6. I was thinking about the homeless just the other day. there are homeless everywhere–we usually don’t see them. I helped out a guy with a homeless ministry once. We brought them clothing in the winter. Some, surprisingly, sleep outside all winter. They would be in the woods and pile up leaves to try to keep warm. We brought them boots and blankets. Many hang out by railroad tracks. I suppose they would hop on the trains. Some stay under bridges.

I like your poem!

7. Heidi, your poem is a powerful reminder that all people are made in the image of God. We have all fallen short of his glory… everyone of us.

8. Tom Raines says:

God does tell us His will. Praying we will do His will!!

9. The prayer, “Forgive me if I don’t love my neighbor….” really hits me today, as I got convicted about that during church. I want my neighbors to change, to “behave”–God wants my heart to change, to love with His grace. God bless you BIG–love, sis Caddo

Dearest Sis… He is always changing our hearts, isn’t He? “Though outwardly we are wasting away, inwardly we are being renewed day by day … thanks so much for precious comments! Blessings to you!

My heart breaks for those who have been abused whether physically or emotionally and have a difficult time trusting and accepting genuine love.