Holy Ground

I do not have many opportunities to visit my childhood home. Only every few years, I get to go travel to see my mother and father, sisters, and extended family overseas. There are wonderful aspects to that as well as many drawbacks.

A wonderful aspect is that we can easily overlook small offenses. We know the time of our visit is typically short and we all try to make the best of it.

On the other hand, we forget that we are not the same people we were several years ago and each time we visit, it takes a while to adjust to the changes in each other’s lives. It is easy to see each other through glasses of the past. While glancing at the past is good, staring at it and camping there can be dangerous. God works in people’s lives where we cannot see. We must continually pray to see one another with His eyes, not through our own faulty remembrances. The enemy likes it when we view through these glasses of the past. He often finds ways to accuse here, where the past is ever before our eyes.

The Lord was gracious to me a few days ago, when the enemy once again tried to remind me of my past sins. The Holy Spirit reminded me of Acts 10:15 (and the correlating verses in Acts 10:28 and Acts 11:9). I penned the following poem as a result.

The enemy, with voices clear,

Tries to accuse of past sins here

In search for peace of mind and rest.

He taunts me – tells me I’m a mess.

He tries convincing of my mind

Says full forgiveness I can’t find.

When all along all that I’ve done

Was paid by Christ, God’s only Son.

What God, in love, made holy ground

Cannot be charged, nor blamed, nor bound.

What once set free by Christ the King,

May now to Him sweet praises sing.

“The voice spoke to him a second time,
‘Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.’”
Acts 10:15
“Father God,
teach me to see with Your eyes.
I want to see others (and myself) through eyes of forgiveness.
Only here, can You pour Your grace and mercy into my heart.
Help me to remember the things I should never forget,
and teach me to forget the things I should never remember.”

(Heidi Viars, 2013)

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Devotional, poetry, Prayer, Revival, Song and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Holy Ground

1. in567 says:

Reblogged this on dear fcb and commented:
    A well said post is no many ways. Thanks, Heidi.

2. sf says:

Awesome! Awesome! I too have just experienced this just last month and oh, it was sooooooo difficult! I couldn’t seem to put the situation, changes, and personality differences into words. But you have here! I thank the Lord for His leading you to write this post which has absolutely helped me place into words my own experience recently. Thanks, Heidi!

3. When Jesus got Peter aside on the beach at the end of John’s Gospel, He asked a simple question, “Do you love me?” Present tense…forget the shortcomings of the past. Do you love me now. I can work with that. Take a look at http://momentsmidstream.blogspot.com/peters. lament

4. Awesome poem/post, Heidi!

5. Isaiah6510 says:

Helloooooo Heidi…sorry I haven’t been around of late to follow as I would like, but what a joy to stumble upon this this morning. I TOTALLY relate to what you’re saying here and intend to frame this poem and pop it up somewhere to remind me when those lies come.God Bless you. Much Love…Sharon x

Hello Sharon … so good to read your comment 🙂 Thanks for those kind words. …. I have not been around much lately either. When I have a few minutes, I try to capture my thoughts here, but I have not had the time to read many posts 😦
      I am actually vacationing with my folks in Germany. We head back to the U.S. soon.
      Hope you are doing well, blogging friend … been buying some cleaning things, mainly so I can be reminded of home when I get back to the job … seems to make things easier 🙂 … Much love to you, sister!

6. I love the prayer at the end. Thank you for this post. It is so important to see others through the eyes of Christ, rather than our own.

Thanks, Toni, for your visit! Our own eyes are continually failing us … Let’s keep praying for the grace to see through Christ’s eyes~ Blessings to you!

7. mwitasblog says:

“God works in people’s lives where we cannot see. We must continually pray to see one another with His eyes, not through our own faulty remembrances.” What powerful insight!

8. Reblogged this on Lessons by Heart and commented:
    Heidi has excellent news for you! There’s another bit of healing and freedom waiting for you in this post. Enjoy!

\o/

9. I want to burn this into my mind and have it ever present in my mind! I especially liked: “What God, in love, made holy ground
    Cannot be charged, nor blamed, nor bound.” Coupled with: “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.’” Acts 10:15. That’s a powerful truth right there.

Wait! Listen! Do you hear that? It’s the sound of shackles falling to the ground!

Okay, I’ve been “wrecked” by God’s beautiful grace once again!

Thanks!
    \o/

(Can I reblog this on Sunday?)

Thanks so much, Tami … I would be honored if you want to reblog …
      What an amazing God who would clean those hidden places of our hearts with the blood of His only Son… God bless you, sister 🙂

10. findingmyinnercourage says:

Powerful Blog! Amen!

11. pattisj says:

You must miss each other a lot being separated by so vast a distance. Thankfully, communication is better today than ever. Loved the truth expressed in your poem, so poetically! 🙂

Patti, it is difficult at times to live this far away. You are right, communication is so much better than it used to be. I am so grateful for that. Thanks for your visit and comment, friend 🙂

12. cshowers says:

Heidi – this was beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Love,
    Cheryl

13. Thanks for this post. your heart is in the right place. Satan is our constant accuser isn’t he. But God is our forever friend. Yes sweet praises to Him we sing. Always good to hear from you.

14. ‘I want to see others (and myself) through eyes of forgiveness.’ So precious Heidi. Beautiful post.

Love the imagery of past sins becoming holy ground, because of God’s forgiveness and Christ’s sacrifice in my place. Also, “Amen” to the last two lines of your prayer! Beautifully written post, Heidi.

Thank you, Nancy, for taking time to comment.God is so good to turn the sin-ridden soil of our hearts into holy ground…by His grace. Love your blog and honest devotions! God bless you

16. This is a powerful post! And the final stanza of your poem, especially, ministered to me–what a blessing.

17. Anonymous says:

Thank you for the reminder to see through His eyes. The poem is absolutely beautiful, thank you for sharing!

18. Rosemary says:

Amen. Phil 3:13b -14. Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead, I Press on towards the goal to win the prized for which God has called me heavenwards in Christ Jesus.
    Glad you are experiencing this verse. Love ya.

Yes! Amen! What a great poem and reminder to see others through fresh eyes!