A Good Friend

I couldn’t wait to put them in a vase. I had picked a few sprigs and blossoms in the field and mixed in ordinary weeds which had grown on the side of the path. A single coneflower, spiderworth, orange milkweed, and tickseed made a beautiful arrangement. I took a vase and filled it.

Just a few weeks prior, my dear friend gave this simple vase to me. We were cleaning her house for the last time before she moved. It was a busy, but sad morning. “Would you like this vase? If not, I will toss it.” The vase had missed making it into a box.

Now it is sitting on my table. I am remembering my sweet friend and what it means to be one. I think a good friend is much like a vase.

A good friend

A good friend
nourishes our gifts and encourages us to blossom while she holds us up

A good friend
is transparent and open

A good friend
reminds us that God uses the beautiful things in our lives as well as the ordinary

Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love,
which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
Colossians 3:12-14

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Devotional, Ponderings, Prayer and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to A Good Friend

1. Good stuff, but a little different look here.

The Lord said, ‘I give not as the world gives.’ Sometimes we get leftovers, or what no body else wants. True giving is in proportionate to the value of the person who lets it go.

You were the recipient of an unwanted gift, ‘I will throw it away if you do not want it,’ so in a sense, it was not really a gift, even though it was special to you.

Contrast: the vase if it was near and dear to the owner, a rare jewel which was special. Now this person gives it to you, for no other reason than what she sees as wanting to bestow goodness to you, for no reason at all. Ah yes, the grace of God, this is how God gives, without a cause.

So yes, your vase is special, but as it is, there is a more excellent way.
    God bless
    (and yes, I too am happy with leftovers)

i so agree with you. You comment brought Romans 6:23 to mind
      “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” ~~~ The best gift ever 🙂
      God bless!

2. melodylowes says:

Your heart will be sore, missing your friend. How wonderful that in this vase you will have a beautiful excuse to keep fresh friend-flowers blooming on your table!

Thanks, Melody …. friend-flowers … I like that! Yes, missing people is painful, but that pain is a sign of much love … and that somehow is a blessing, right? …

• melodylowes says:

If we choose to see it that way, YES! It is all in the way we see things. It is a good thing to be missed, and to miss, if you put it into the context of real relationships.

3. LubbyGirl says:

My husband says weeds are just misplaced flowers. He’s partly right…except when it’s poison oak or poison ivy. 😆 Thank you for that really great analogy of friendship and vases, all tied together with Scripture. I’d never really thought of it that way.

4. anncole68 says:

this is a great poem! Your words are inspiring and I have a vase that probably won’t make it in an upcoming move. Perhaps I’ll pass it on to a friend…

5. scriptordeus says:

Beautiful tribute to friendship, Heidi. It reminds me that I need to tell my friends how precious they are to me. Blessings, my blogging friend!

6. findingmyinnercourage says:

Thank you Lord for my blogging friendships, beautiful!

7. omtatjuan says:

Well said! Your words are full of joy and caring.

Thank you, omtatjuan! That’s because God fills my heart with joy and He cared so deeply for me, when He sent Jesus to die for me 🙂 Thank you so much for stopping in and taking time to comment.

8. What a wonder poem and such a beautiful way to describe a friendship. I too find living on my farms wildflowers and some weeds to be quite beautiful and I am glad you included a picture of the vase so your readers could enjoy them with you take care I think your blog is such a treasure and so inspiring when I am having a down moment. thank you for using your gift to glorify the Lord and lift others up!

Thank you, Jennifer … He gives us these amazing gifts … the greatest, I think, is the gift of the His presence in the form of the Holy Spirit. What a blessing to know Him to be ever so close, no matter where we are.

9. Reblogged this on Prayers and Promises and commented:
    There is nothing like good friends…Heidi captures it perfectly!

10. What a wonderful illustration!! Loved this! Thank you!! 🙂

What a wonderful God and marvelous Creator we serve. He called us, who trust in His Son, friends … how can this be??? Thanks for the visit and kind word of encouragement! Blessings to you!

11. bennetta faire says:

Oh Heidi, I got all misty about this–what a beautiful, beautiful metaphor, and I’m so blessed to have a sweet friend who does all that for me. I hope I do as good a job. God bless you BIG. PS, would it be okay for me to print it–just for my personal file, not for reuse anywhere?

12. What a beautiful picture of friendship! Love the way all the elements came together…poem, photo, scripture, and the real life heart behind it all:)

Hey Patty (just noticed I never posted my reply) …. Thank you so much for your kind words!!! God is amazing to give this gift of friendship to us. I am grateful for people like you who are so generous with their encouragement! Blessings to you, as you continue to share Jesus with us through your posts!!!!

13. carolynrice says:

This is beautiful. It touched my heart. God Bless you.

Thanks, Carolyn…. we serve an amazingly creative God … who chose to make us His friends … when we were His enemies … that’s a beautiful thing 🙂

14. pattisj says:

A sweet tribute to friendship. Love your bouquet, fresh and unpretentious.

Funny, how weeds and beautiful flowers go together … much like the things in our lives 🙂 …. Love the word “unpretentious” …. thanks!!! Blessings

15. barb says:

What an extraordinary analogy…well written…although i don’t know you that well i consider you a friend and what a blessing you are.

Barb, thanks so much for reading and leaving this kind encouragement! I am grateful to the Lord for allowing us to have crossed paths! Blessings to you … dear friend 🙂

16. Ben Nelson says:

I love this – i love the way you have woven the gift, the melancholic note of missing your friend, the poetry and the Scripture – this is a beautiful and touching post.

in particular:
    “A good friend is a vessel that helps us display the gifts God has given us and brings out the best in us”

Well said Heidi

Thanks, Ben … Jesus modeled what it is like to be a friend … what an example and encouragement He proves to be!!!
      John 15:15 No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.
      Blessings, friend 🙂

I just loved this! Thank you , Heidi , for using your sweet gifts! God bless you!

18. Another precious post Heidi. Tear worthy xx