Waiting

Today I waited -waited on the Lord and rested on a bench. I did not walk but instead drove to the lake and sat with the Word, desiring to hear from Him. I asked God for vision and direction on where to step next.

As the sun rose over the water and with my Bible open, I was soaking in the first warming rays of sunlight.

When I walked to the car, my eyes were drawn to an arbor. It was overgrown with lush green. As I walked up close,  I noticed immature grapes hanging off thin branches.

It gave me peace to think how much God sees and knows what all our immature fruit will look and taste like. Often we get so impatient in the process of growing fruit.

BUT GOD … He is the One who will bring our lives to fruition in HIM.

Yes, resting is good.

“God teach me to wait on You while You develop and ripen fruit in me. My life is in Your hand. The harvest is for You.”

(Heidi Viars, 2013 )

“Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord’s coming.
See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop,
patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains.
You too, be patient and stand firm,
because the Lord’s coming is near.”
James 5:7-8

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Waiting

1. I like what you said, God’s invitation to rest in Him and wait for Him is subtle. We can miss it at times, especially when we are busy for Him. i think I miss it quite often. I does take some patience, and we have to give it some time–time to settle ourselves down and rest in Him. Thanks for this post.

Thank you, Stephen for your insights. It’s a mystery to me at times how He can be so incredibly patient and yet bring about His sovereign will in our lives. I am in awe how He can use us, faulty and weak, and yet bring about His perfect plan. What an amazing God we serve. Blessings to you!

2. Loved your message, Your pictures are so beautiful. Right now I am waiting on the Lord I think he trying to teach me trust and patience.

3. It was freeing to realize that “fruit happens.” No fruit tree grunts and groans as it tries to force fruit onto its branches!

Great post!
    \o/

4. melodylowes says:

All my life I have plucked fruit that hasn’t been ripe in my hurry and impatience. What a great lesson – to remember to wait for it to ripen His time, His way. It is a real shock to come to the realization that God has a way of letting things simmer. He is definitely not a microwave kind of guy – and always goes for the long haul. I’m glad He does His own thing and glosses over my rude interruptions! 🙂

Heidi, you’ve made me think: We sometimes think our fruit is ripe and ready for picking. We wonder why God hasn’t noticed. The truth of the matter may be, we don’t realize how much more beautiful, sweet, and nourishing our fruit can be if we just wait a bit longer–for his timing. Thank you, Heidi, for your insight, and for becoming a follower of my blog. I’m honored that you find the posts meaningful.

Dear Nancy, you are so right. We are way too impatient … and maybe don’t trust God enough that He knows. So glad to have crossed (cyber) paths with you 🙂

6. How restful are the words and images in this post, Heidi! How wonderful to commune with the Lord, listening to His Word, surrounded by His wondrous creation.

Beautiful images and post! I love how you captured the sunlight in both, as well as the analogy and encouragement using the immature grapes. \(^_^)/

8. Isaiah6510 says:

This has encouraged me to get off this computer and go be with the Lord!!!! Byeeeeeee hahahaha (No…seriously…I’m off!!!) Lots o love x x x

9. Heidi, how lovely is your walking or sitting on a bench with the Lord. We benefit from the fruit of your waiting on Him!

Sue, waiting can be so tricky. But then, when He moves after the waiting and refining, He brings forth His fruit … and we then have no doubt it was Him. The gift of waiting is amazing 🙂

10. Beautiful Heidi. Thank you so much for sharing your special moment with the Lord. Such a gentle encouraging message.

Hey Liana, He is so good to us… isn’t He? I often wish I could take others along on these walks. There is nothing like being reminded of His constant presence through what He has given us in nature! Blessings to you, dear dear friend 🙂

11. pattisj says:

Love the warmth and reflections in your photo, what a lovely way to start your day.

I feel so incredibly blessed to live in such beauty. My spirit soars when I get to be outside in the woods. especially in the early morning. Blessings to you, Patti

12. Oh Heidi, this was greatly encouraging and affirming. The last 2 years I’ve been fussing with God, suggesting He really ought to “fast-track” me, since I’m over 60 now. Think I’ll just take a nice breath today and REST IN HIM, WITH HIM, FOR HIM. God bless you BIG–love, Cj

Dearest Benetta, your words are always so full of grace and encouragement. I find that each day He teaches me more about His incredible holiness. At the same time I notice how short I fall of His righteousness. BUT GOD -in this growing awareness – allows for the Cross to increase in its value to me. It becomes more and more evident how much we are in need of His grace. Let’s let the cross grow larger in our lives as we recognize our sinful nature and His Holiness more and more. You are such a BIG blessing, sister!

13. carolynrice says:

This is so beautiful and so touching. You have a wonderful way with words. What a gift God has given you. God Bless you!

14. blmaluso says:

Thanks for sharing your experience. It is so comforting to give everything to the Lord; all of our strengths, weaknesses, joys and struggles, and allow ourselves to rest in His presence and peace.

15. barb says:

Sweet yet powerful fruit. ,:=)