Go Home

Why do you wander so aimlessly,
My soul, far away from home?
Have you been evicted shamelessly
By lies … and were made to roam?

Your walls, your dignity, once were strong
Now broken, and occupied
By worries and fears of being wrong –
By evil and sland’rous lies.

Run back in a hurry! Take your stand!
Believe now what God has said
He paid for your home – secured the land
All claims by others are dead

None may slander – steal honor from you,
Nor take strength and dignity.
Go home with Christ and with Him rule
He’s your grace and holds your key!

(Inspired by Martin Schleske, Der Klang, S. 114-115)

Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
    we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:33-39 (ESV)

(Poem and pictures, Heidi Viars, 2019)

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, church, Devotional, poetry, Revival, Song and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Go Home

1. Thank you for this comforting poem and post, dear Heidi. Never have I needed these reminders as much as I do this year. I’m grateful God alone is Judge. He is gracious in all that He does.
    Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

2. Powerfully put, divinely affirmed . . . love this and you, Heidi!

So powerful and beautiful and TRUE! Thank you, Heidi!

Inspiring as always, Heidi. Praise God for His Son, our grace and good Shepherd. He never lets us wander far! You quoted from one of my favorite chapters in the Bible, Romans 8; memorized it a few years back. So much encouragement in one chapter!

Now you have inspired me to go back to memorizing. I have started memorizing Romans 8 several times before and never finished… Maybe, with your encouragement today, I will set out and try again 🙂 Happy Thanksgiving, Friend! Grateful for you!

5. Heidi, believe me when I say that I too have felt exactly like your poem portrays. God has obviously gifted you in your writing! All praise to Him! So I guess that these lies we believe are somewhat typical for the body of Christ. Thank you for coming alongside. I also loved the scripture you chose, it’s so encouraging! May God bless you today and always!

Thanks, dear Jacquie, and, yes, all praise to God! It is good to remind ourselves and each other that we have a secure home in Jesus. Thanks for always encouraging my heart to continue in this! Sending hugs your way, sister!

6. Brenda Lynn says:

Oh, Boy. I sure needed this. “Why so downcast, oh, my soul?” has become “Bless the Lord, oh, my soul.” You capture so concisely, eloquently the struggle we endure when our hearts wander from the home God has prepared for us. As for me, I overthink. I think myself right out the door and this reminder from you steers me right back home. Thank you!

7. MAGIC WORDS, SIMPLE AND YET SO INTRICATE, CHINA

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )