The Flaw

I look around and clearly see
That flawlessness you need from me.
Perfection is what makes you tick.
But can’t you see the Devil’s trick?

I look around and what I know
That I’m not welcome. I must go.
In my blemishes and flaws,
It does appear I am at fault.

I look around and do perceive
I have no place. I better leave.
Don’t be surprised though when I’m gone …
You still have self to look upon.

For when you look deep in your heart,
You’ll see that God made me a part
Of His plan and of His cure.
To point to Christ, the One who’s pure.

Don’t so quickly try to end
Or fix the broken – try to mend
What is here to point to God.
For it is YOU who’s really flawed.

Thanks to David Robertson for pointing to a powerful documentary and his excellent commentary at

A World Without God -6 statements in Sally Phillips’ BBC doc that show us where we’re heading

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The Flaw

1. melodylowes says:

We humans are so self-righteous, aren’t we? We know the value of life. That is, the value of life that we sanction – life with the right number of chromosomes. Life without ‘defects’. How presumptuous we are… Yes, ‘irregularities’ come with challenges. But they also come with blessings attached! Thank you for speaking up for our brothers and sisters whose rights are dismissed with such arrogance.

2. Heidi, bless your heart for sharing this beautiful poem. I’ve liked the video on my YouTube account so I can watch it later. My late sister had Down’s Syndrome, and I couldn’t have loved her more than I did.

Thank you, Wendy, for this sweet comment. I am sure she had some part in shaping your heart in making you the kind and compassionate woman that you are today. I am sorry to hear she passed away. Blessings to you

Thank you, dear Heidi, for,sharing the article and for the poem, for being moved to speak out about this. When I was pregnant with Aub, they had me scheduled for a test to see if the baby was “okay”. When I understood what it was for, so I could choose to have an abortion if the results were not good, I refused to take the test. I was horrified and they were perplexed at why I wouldn’t want to know and have a “choice”. God bless you!

Thank you for sharing from your experience. While it’s good that pregnant women are educated on all the challenges that come with a positive diagnose of Down’s (and other things), I wonder if we hear too little about the rewards. It can be so scary. Thank you for allowing God to work through you and letting Him create Aub the way He saw fit. Blessings, dear blogging friend.

I, too, have had the privilege to know a person with Down’s Syndrome. Like most people with Down’s, Danny was always cheerful, affectionate, and kind. His positivity brought out the cheer, affection, and kindness of those around him. These are traits we want to erase from civilization?! Your poem is a pointed reminder that aborting such children is a great loss to society. Well done, Heidi!

5. Thank you for posting this video. Love the message of your poem, too.

6. Dear Heidi, For some reason I don’t understand this poem. And I’m not wanting to just delete it because I know there’s always a good message in it. Please forgive me but when you have time could you somehow offer me insight that I am missing. Love Jacquie

There is a link to a documentary I recently watched. In the documentary a British actress (Sally Phillips) talks about her issue she is having with testing for pregnant woman that can determine whether their babies will have Down’s Syndrome. At one point she points out that in Iceland there is a 100 % abortion rate in pregnancies where the baby has been diagnosed with Down’s. How can this be good for society? In my poem I looked at life from the perspective of a “flawed” person. Maybe this makes more sense now … let me know if this clears things up. I appreciate your feedback, Jackie!

7. Espirational says:

Thank you for posting this. It is excellent. I can’t imagine what my life would be without people without the people with Down Syndrome I’ve known over the years.