The Last Thing I Remember

IMG_1866
Long ago a stranger did say,
“May we hold hands and quickly pray?
May the last thing you remember of me
Be a prayer we prayed for your family.”

I never forgot her kindness and deed.
That she prayed for a stranger in her need.
I thought of her words so often since then –
Try to apply them every now and then.

Just last week I said to my friend,
“May I hold your hand here at your end?”
We prayed as we spoke our last words that day.

“Lord, help me remember and teach me to pray!”

cropped-img_0593.jpg
Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

Romans 12:12
(Pictures and poem, Heidi Viars, 2016)

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Last Thing I Remember

1. Sheryl says:

What a beautiful and powerful poem! I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I’d like to extend my sympathy.

Thank you, Sheryl. Blessings to you

• Debbie M. says:

Prayer is a “conversation” with God. I can’t think of a better way to enter our eternal home in His presence than through prayer. A side note: I have been trying to be bolder in prayer to ask others if they would like me to pray out loud with them. I am amazed at how many people will say “yes.” There is power in prayer that resonates and connects us with other people.

What a great thing it is to ask others if they want you to pray! As we obey the Holy Spirit in HIs promptings in that, He provides more and more opportunities. Thanks for sharing that, Debbie

Wow… so beautiful and bittersweet. So sorry for your loss. ((hugs))

This brought tears, dear Heidi, but hope as well. Thinking of you as you mourn the loss of a friend. So thankful she had you by her side!

Thank you, dear Debbie, for your comment. It means much to me. Yes, all is well. She was the kind of person that would make you feel like you were her favorite person. I laughed with a friend today and we joked how each of us were her favorite 🙂 (along with countless others!)

Such lovely, heart-touching poetry, Heidi. Indeed, our last words should be a prayer, ushering us readily and effortlessly into the arms of Jesus!

Thank you, Nancy, again for your kind and encouraging words. I want to remember to pray more with my friends and family, and even strangers. We just don’t know when our conversation might be the last one! Blessings to you, dear sister

5. Mel Wild says:

I echo the other’s comments. Beautiful and poignant, Heidi. There’s nothing more important on this earth than connecting with and comforting another human life in need with our care and love that comes from heavenly Father. Blessings.

I agree with you, Mel. We are pointers to eternity and the One who loved us enough to make provisions for us to go there. May we see the importance each day to show others the hope we have in Jesus Christ!

6. Beautiful and powerful, Heidi.