Comfort’s Calling

December 10th, 2012, snow, woods, trees, winter 017A tiny voice did beckon me
While I walked roads of faith
Convinced my tired heart to see
That comfort was the way.

I followed it to paths of ease
(A small turn I must say)
From toiling roads soon I was freed,
Walked on, content and safe.

No worries here, where mild winds soared –
Where comfort-rivers flowed
Where all walked safe along the shore
Where pleasures lined the road.

I soon forgot my Father’s task
To scale faith-mountains steep.
Dismissed His voice, which gently asked
To not choose roads of ease. winter, february 7th, 2013 006Enter through the narrow gate.
For wide is the gate and broad is the road
that leads to destruction,
and many enter through it.

But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life,
and only a few find it.

Matthew 7:13-14
(Pictures and Poetry, Heidi Viars November 2014)

โ€œIf you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth ...โ€ โ€• C.S. Lewis ..... In my pursuit of self, I found utter darkness. In my pursuit of truth, I found Jesus, who dispelled the darkness by His forgiveness. Now I follow Him and try to understand Him better. I am a wife, mother of 6, blogger and love taking photographs of sunrises.
This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, poetry, Revival and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Comfort’s Calling

1. deborah ann says:

Mountains steep . . . ah, mine this year were such . . . but, alas my Savior has called me and I must, for Him, make the journey. I am sure once I am on the top I will see the full and complete view of where He is taking me. ~ Blessings in Jesus to you and yours may your heart always seek the steep things of the Lord ~

What grace that makes a God walk with us along those steep mountains of faith. Thank, dearest Deborah for always pointing us to the One who walks with us. You are a beautiful witness for Him.

2. So beautiful Heidi. Gentle; but very powerful. Gentle; but laced with conviction.

Thank you for showing us that following Him may make us uncomfortable, but that is way better than being without Him. God bless you and yours as you travel down the paths He has for you!

Oh, yes, “to scale faith-mountains steep” is a heartfelt desire of mine, too. As we strain upward toward what is ahead, we’ll enjoy the close companionship of Jesus, breathe in the fresh wind of the Spirit, and see new vistas prepared by our God that we’d never experience from the path of comfort and ease. Thank you, Heidi, for your beautiful encouragement here to press on!

Thank you, dearest Nancy. I had to remind myself (and it seems I have to do that often) that I’d rather be uncomfortable in His will than comfortable in mine. You bless me, dear sister.

Those roads appear easy at first, but sooner or later they become treacherous and burdensome. Although His yoke may seem heavy at times, I prefer it over the heaviness that walking without it can bring. Beautiful poem and great reminder!

6. sf says:

Beautiful, beautiful! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Heidi!

7. Paislee Blu says:

Happy Thanksgiving to the Viars family–may you be abundantly blessed, each and everyone! caddo

Thank you, my dearest Caddo!!! I am so abundantly blessed (stretched and blessed, I guess) … I am extremely grateful to God for such a wonderful and beautiful friend I have in you! Sending much love … from Scott and the “kidlets” too!

8. Your reminder is timely as the path of faith steepens for my family. To be honest, I have always battled a fear of heights, becoming disoriented as I long for that path of ease. Yet I praise Him still, grateful for His steadying voice that calls us ever higher. Giving thanks for His call this Thanksgiving morning.

Thank you, Kathie for your comment. I too am afraid of the heights my God takes me to. I continue to keep Matthew 25:23 in mind (His master said to him, โ€˜Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.โ€™)… The day will come when you stand before your Father. Kathie, what could be better on that day than to hear Him say, “Well done!”
      While we are not saved by what we do, we are surely making Him known by the faith we display in the calling. Press on, sister while you postpone the comfort for a short while and bring Him glory ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Hi Heidi…..I enjoyed your poem this month. I can relate. I’ve chosen a road of faith that may cause me to lose a dear friend of quite a few years. It’s hard that’s for sure, but I know I made the right decision. Thanks for the comforting words. Jacquie Whyte

Dearest Jacquie …. may your friend eventually see Christ in the decisions you have made and may heart turn to Him because you have been faithful. Thank you for your kind words and for reading. I will be praying for you!

10. Thanks Heidi. This is a good word for me, because I often pray for comfort when I should be praying for strength in trial. That is a better prayer.