PLEASE PRAY FOR THE HOMELESS

I pushed against the heavy, ice-covered, glass front door
To take a peek into a frozen world.
I was reminded of the many
Who don’t look from a warm inside out,
But have to look from a cold outside in.

PLEASE PRAY FOR THE HOMELESS!

looking from the inside out 002

Here are some practical things you can do …

• keep a gift card for a fast food restaurant in your wallet –
    it provides a warm place to get out of the cold
    (Five-dollar gift cards for McDonald’s are great!!!)
  • keep a public transportation ticket in your wallet –
    many homeless ride the trains in this cold weather
  • support the homeless shelters in your city.
    Donations of baked goods, long underwear, warm coats, sleeping bags, and blankets are very much appreciated.
  • PRAY FOR THE HOMELESS

“God, open the door of our cold hearts.
Show us how to provide warmth
For those who are freezing.”

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Prayer and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to PLEASE PRAY FOR THE HOMELESS

1. These are very good suggestions. Thanks for your generosity toward the homeless. ~ Dennis

2. Pingback: PLEASE PRAY FOR THE HOMELESS | ladylinchpin~Supreme Art Advocate!

Heidi, your ideas, and your long comment to Debbie above, have inspired me! I love that idea of $5 gift cards. With Leyda (also above), I pray God blesses YOU as you bless others–including me!

Nancy, thank you for your kind comment. God has over and over shown me how He longs for His children to show His kindness to those the world thinks very little about (Isaiah 58). Just this morning, I talked with my friend in Chicago (who has a ministry to the homeless). She told me that as she handed out gift cards -which God has provided over the past months OVER and OVER and ABUNDANTLY more than I could have even imagined. People felt so loved.
      The cards provide a homeless person with such dignity. As a paying customer, they can now sit and enjoy the warmth. She told me that one person has said it’s like having a “peace card” in his pocket. Many don’t know where their next meal comes from and this does bring some sort of peace.
      She also told me that many people had no place to go on Christmas. Some rode the el train in Chicago all day.
      Our Ladies’ Bible study recently cut out envelopes and made small cards. We attached Scripture verses and pictures (which I take on my walks). Then I wrote each person an individual note, about how much their Father loves them. I am thinking about writing a few blogs on how it all got started.
      While the ministry to the homeless encompasses so much more, this is small part of a big picture! Thanks again for your comment, Nancy … as you can tell I get very excited about this 🙂 Sending you much love!

4. These are wonderful practical suggestions, Heidi. The food certificate idea is my favorite (aside from all powerful prayer).

Warm Blessings ~ Wendy

5. Leyda Hope says:

Shhh, it’s me Caddo. I’ll be liking/commenting alternately from one of my blogs or the other. God bless you BIG.

6. melodylowes says:

Oh, how much we have to be thankful for! Thanks Heidi…

Indeed, Melody! Thanks for stopping in … and stay warm!

• melodylowes says:

This afternoon it warmed up to only -22C and wow, did we have fun playing outside at recess! Balmy in comparison to the past few days!! Relativity is quite the thing. 🙂

We were still out of school … but I did give my kids a science lesson … the one where you throw hot water out of a cup into the cold air… it turns immediately into snow … it was pretty amazing … we are still at -18C now … but are getting better … only one pipe froze in our house … got it all worked out though!

Thank you, Heidi, for helping us to pray and to help. Would it be appropriate sometime for you to share with us the woman / place in Chicago that you have sent gift cards to in the past? God bless you!

I actually have another blog where I have written about how God provided gift cards to Sandy victims. There I wrote about how God allowed me to connect 13 individuals who lost everything, with churches in our area who send boxes filled with gift cards. After those efforts, the Lord shifted the idea of the boxes to the east coast to fast food cards to the homeless in Chicago. Since the beginning of last year, God has allowed me to send many packages filled with five-dollar gift cards to Chicago. One of the most recent ones contained 120 (that’s 600 dollars worth). Through all of it, I actually have spoken to the manager at our local McDonald’s and we have talked about the Lord. I AM BLOWN AWAY.
      I have often wanted to write about it but then get hammered by the enemy… (I guess I need that devil-whacker)
      Hey, thanks so much for your encouragement … I am seriously thinking about blogging about it.
      Stay warm, dearest Debbie!!!

8. Caddo says:

Adding my prayers always.

Really good suggestions, especially the gift card, because many homeless shelters provide overnight stays but do not allow guests to hang out during the day. Some churches or other organizations provide ‘warming shelters’ during the winter so the homeless have somewhere to go during the day, but if there isn’t one, the gift card can provide a way for them to get out of the cold and get something to eat. 🙂

Yes, the gift card idea came from a woman in Chicago, who ministers to the homeless. I heard her once on the radio, contacted her and we have gotten to know each other since. God has provided an abundance of cards for me to send to her… I think I will have to blog about how that all came about … It blows my mind how God works … when we lift our empty hands, He fills our hearts!

10. Wonderful ideas Heidi. Thanks.

11. Thank you Heidi for the reminder and the good ideas. I love your heart!

12. theywhoseek says:

Amen Heidi . . . I support our local homeless shelter with money for food. This year the Lord has put on my heart to buy blankets. So I went out with my Christmas money and bought some. We are not as cold as the East coast but it does get into the teens and twenties plenty of time. ~ Blessings ~

That’s so neat, Deborah! How generous of you to use that money for those in need! I know that the homeless are blessed and God is glorified 🙂 Blessings to you, sister!

13. Tom Raines says:

I join you and great suggestions. Praying now!

14. blmaluso says:

Thank you for the reminder and the well thought out ideas!

15. JC says:

Amen. Yes!
    I read this post this morning…it thoroughly blessed me and it is right in line with what you have written…

Blessings
    JC

16. Skye says:

Amen, Heidi!!! Planning on calling our local shelter today!!! Many hugs…much love sent your way!