Longing and Waiting

early morning rest 005

It’s been close to two weeks since I have been on a long walk in the woods. I finally realized that I needed to rest my foot, which has been bothering me for some time. As I am looking through pictures which I have taken recently, my heart is getting heavy with longing. I want to be out there, with the Lord, in the quiet. God is teaching me to wait. Waiting is something I don’t do well. Waiting is hard.

There are seasons marked by waiting.
In the waiting God is teaching us through longing.

Longing for better things.
Longing for dreams fulfilled.
Longing for desires met.
Longing for healing.

Not being there, in that place of our desire,
makes us ache with anticipation.
Dreams are honed into our hearts in the waiting.

“Father, teach my longing heart to wait well.
Show me how to wait with eager expectation.
Show me how to wait on You.
Fill me with Your presence –
No matter the circumstances –
No matter where I am –
No matter how long I have to wait.”
early morning rest 006

For he satisfies the longing soul,
and the hungry soul he fills with good things.
Psalm 107:9

β€œIf you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth ...” ― C.S. Lewis ..... In my pursuit of self, I found utter darkness. In my pursuit of truth, I found Jesus, who dispelled the darkness by His forgiveness. Now I follow Him and try to understand Him better. I am a wife, mother of 6, blogger and love taking photographs of sunrises.
This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Devotional, Prayer, Revival and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Longing and Waiting

1. Heidi, I can so relate to the waiting you are going through concerning your foot. Praying that you will be out and about soon. Good on you for allowing the Lord to use even your pain for his glory. My orthopedic surgeon is still investigating my foot and has me using arch supports which has reduced the pain.

Blessings of healing ~ Wendy

Thank you so much for that encouragement, Wendy! God is so good. He hones and shapes us continually. All our lives He teaches us and remakes us, not only through this thing with my foot, but also as we wait as a family on a big decision. I am finding out more and more, that God is not in need of anything I have and that I must trust HIM completely to bring about His plan for us. Thanks so much for your compassionate heart, dear sister!

2. A needed word. Thank you so much, Dear Heidi. Your faithfulness inspires me. Much love sent your way….

3. Heidi, I think we all struggle with waiting. We’ve gotten too spoiled to the instantaneous. My problem is with that eager expectation you mentioned and with continuing to hope when the answers look grim. God is so faithful to fill us back up when our hope leaks out, though! Thanks.

‘Love the line: “Dreams are honed into our hearts in the waiting.” Brings to mind Psalm 37:4: “Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.” What sometimes happens is what you allude to, Heidi. While we’re dreaming and praying and hoping and waiting, we discover a transformation occurring in our hearts. Sometimes God changes the dream changes entirely–to a better one! Or the motivation behind the dream becomes purified. Either way, the wait time is supremely valuable.

(Please remind me of this when I express impatience about a dream not coming to pass fast enough!!)

I love how those verses go on to say, “Commit your way to the LORD, trust Him and He will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Be still, before the LORD and wait patiently for Him.”
      THANK you for reminding me that Scriptures always have the answer for us!
      “… the motivation behind the dream become purified.” Yikes, that hits a nerve for me right now.
      Blessings to you, sister! Let’s continue to remind each other πŸ™‚

5. Rosemary Nelsen says:

We were just talking about waiting during Bible Study this morning. Waiting is hard, but the results are worth it. Hangeth thou in there, Heidi.

6. vonhonnauldt says:

“As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. My souls thirsts for God, for the living God.” “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst,…for they shall be filled.” Not long, dear sister, not long. All our desire for God will be satisfied,…and there will be no more waiting. “Even so, come, Lord Jesus.” A blessed Christmas to you and yours.

Thank you , Heidi, for teaching us about the longing that comes along with waiting! Looking forward to what God is teaching us through it! God bless you!

Yes, Debbie … God can be trusted in the waiting. We are always safe in Him, maybe not comfortable, but always safe! Thanks for being such a wonderful blogging friend!

8. Caddo says:

This is a perfect word for me tonight, Sis–just perfect. Knowing that HE is with us in the waiting really takes a lot of the aggravation out of it. God bless you BIG! love, sis Caddo

9. “And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.” Exodus 14:13 KJV Great things happen when we wait, when we stand still …

What a powerful verse, Liana! Thank you for faithfully pointing me to the Word and His Truth, which is not shaken and will remain forever! Blessings to you, dear friend.

Dazzling images and wonderful reminder. I’ve had an aching for so long, I am learning to take one day at a time. Thank you so much for including Psalm 107:9.

I took these images the other day, when I got out of the car and wanted to go on a walk. I had tried to venture out but realized I could not walk. I was so sad (and mad). But God drew my eyes to the benches right across from where I parked the car. In angry tears I took these shots. But the more I looked at the comforting scenery, the more I felt His presence assure me. “WAIT” … so much to be learned here! Thank you, Rene. Your comments are a blessing (and so are your blogs :-))