Hope of Heaven

snow and ice thanksgiving weel 012

Pain, sorrow, and death are earthly agents,

Designed to produce a longing for Heaven.

Pleasures on earth are temporal glimpses

– Pointing to our eternal hope.

By making this life about our happiness,

We have forfeited the longing and have put our hope in a lie.

(Heidi Viars, 2013)

snow and ice thanksgiving weel 0211 Corinthians 15:54-58
When the perishable puts on the imperishable,
and the mortal puts on immortality,

then shall come to pass the saying that is written:
“Death is swallowed up in victory.”

“O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?”

The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.

But thanks be to God,
who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast,
immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord,
knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Devotional, Revival and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Hope of Heaven

An absolutely glorious reminder that “this world is not our home, we’re just a-passin’ through” (from an old gospel song). May our hearts focus on the eternal hope of Jesus as this Advent season unfolds! Thank you, Heidi!

2. theywhoseek says:

“Our eternal hope” oh, how I love the sound of these words. . . indeed Heidi all this other stuff is just temporal and one day (soon) we are going to be with our Lord and Savior forever and forever. I just can’t wait 🙂 ~ Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving ~

3. I admire friends like you who can put into a few words what it takes me an entire page to write!

This especially touched my heart:

“By making this life about our happiness,

We have forfeited the longing and have put our hope in a lie.”

Oh, Lord, help us keep our eyes on You, looking forward to the day when we are face to face!

Blessings – and Happy Thanksgiving!

\o/

4. We too soon forget that this life is temporal. Thanks for the lovely photos and reminder. The top one is a beautiful contrast to the frozen one below. Reminds me of how when we receive our glorified bodies one day, we will shed the sin-cursed ones and break forth into our intended beauty. Gorgeous pics and powerful poem

5. Ron & Amy Polcyn says:

Wonderful blog entry! Also, consider making the bittersweet a card photo. Love, Amy

You know what, Amy, never knew that it was called “bittersweet” … another testimony to God directing our thoughts. I will work on those cards! Thank you so much for your faithful friendship. I treasure you more thank you know!!!

6. Wonderful! I’m so thankful when The Lord directs my thoughts heavenward. Thank you for writing this!

7. Surrender! That is my word for 2014! Thank you for giving it to me. It is an answer to my prayers this morning. Beautifully penned, Heidi. As always!

Dearest Skye, I could write an entire new blog about what God has taught me through “surrender” this year. I could keep you for hours telling you how He has filled my empty hands each time I raised them in surrender to Him.
      I want to live here, not just for a year or a season, but for this short life He has given me. He is the Alpha the Omega, the Beginning and the End. Surrendering ALL to Him never leaves us in want, only in the wanting more of Him, the Utterly Inexhaustible God.
      You will never regret this … and I can’t wait for Him to bathe you in glimpses and read what He has done! Trust Him. He is the I AM.
      Sending you much love and Thanksgiving blessings.

• Oh, Dear Heidi, what a blessing you are. I am going to print out your comment here if you do not mind and tuck it in my Bible. I feel like I have so much to learn and so much to surrender, but I am loving the journey–even though it is painful and I fail every day. 🙂

I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful, Dear Friend!! Actually, I am not positive where you are…..so if you are not in the states, I wish you a Happy Thursday. 🙂

8. Caddo says:

Oh wow, Heidi, this was striking. I make quite a point about how happy I am now, after decades of depression–but it hasn’t diminished my hope and longing for all that Jesus yet has with Him, “up close and Personal”. I’m happy now, but I’ll be WAY HAPPIER then! God bless you BIG–love, sis Caddo

Been going through the book of Job again … I struggle so much and feel the gravity of my flesh draw me away from my eternal focus so often … My word for the year in 2013 was “surrender” … I think I might have to take it for another one! Thanks so much for your faithful heart and continuing to point to the Father! Love to you!

• Caddo says:

Surrender is a great word, probably worthy of a re-run. I was surprised to receive mine for 2014 early, “Perseverance”–made me a little nervous, but God was smiling, so I guess it’ll be okay! Love you BIG~