Bells and Whistles

July 23rd, 2013, flowers, early morning, church, invitation 018Once, on Sundays, around this land
Bells rang from steeples small and grand
They called to people all around –
To church and to God’s holy ground.
They called to worshiping the Lord
To praying, preaching of the Word.
They called to child and old alike,
To chase the goal of Jesus Christ.
Now, whistles blow from far away
Call child and parent to obey.
Coach and trainer turned to preachers
Asked to trade the pews for bleachers.
But days will come – and come they must
When coaches leave and trophies rust,
When children grow and need their God.
Please, don’t trade holy ground for sod.
(Heidi Viars, 2013)

goals in the morning 002Let us hold fast the confession of our hope
without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,
not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some,
but encouraging one another,
and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
Hebrews 10:23-25 ~ ESV

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, poetry, Revival and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Bells and Whistles

Amen! I’ve been reading Jeremiah, and your poem is reminiscent of how we can get distracted and neglect our relationship with God or fail to worship Him, choosing lesser things instead. Thank you for the reminder to consider the eternal and temporary.

2. Lol, “coaches leave and trophies rust” looooove it!

You’ve done it again, Heidi–written an Insightful, and thought-provoking poem with artful creativity! It speaks powerful truth!

4. Ya I don’t know why we have chosen Sunday to have football games. I do like sports but I will never miss church because of it. It’s ashamed so many players are missing church.

5. emeraldogzz says:

Powerful! God bless you!

6. Heidi, there is much wisdom in your warning. I have heard a mother wish she had not encouraged her kids in sports so much – they replaced God with it and have not returned – yet; the trophies now collect dust.

7. Anonymous says:

Thanks for saying what needs to be said! Amen, sister!

8. Amen, Heidi. Great thoughts.

How beautiful, Heidi, as you end this thoughtful piece with children ( us all!) growing and needing our God. Thank you and God bless you bunches!

10. Caddo says:

Wow, that’s excellent–painfully true, and so well written. God bless you BIG!

11. Oh! It saddens me so when I see parents taking their kids to sporting events on Sundays instead of church. This was wonderful, Heidi. As always, your talent and heart shine through!!

12. Rosemary Nelsen says:

Sports as a god! That and so many other gods, but only ONE TRUE GOD!