I Wonder If She Knows

spider webs 002

I wonder if she knows –

while she tries to secure life with tightropes,

that her control is only an illusion.

I wonder if she knows –

while she chases for her provisions –

that her Maker knows of all her needs.

I wonder if she knows –

while she searches for meaning –

that she has been created with purpose.

I wonder if she knows –

while she worries about tomorrow –

that her Creator is keeping her from slipping.

(As I was walking through the woods a couple of mornings ago, I found this spiderweb. The early morning light reflected and illuminated a cross at the center of the insect’s marvelous work. It reminded me of Jonathan Edwards’ sermon, “SINNERS IN THE HANDS OF AN ANGRY GOD”)

“Your wickedness makes you as it were heavy as lead, and to tend downwards with great weight and pressure towards hell; and if God should let you go, you would immediately sink and swiftly descend and plunge into the bottomless gulf, and your healthy constitution, and your own care and prudence, and best contrivance, and all your righteousness, would have no more influence to uphold you and keep you out of hell, than a spider’s web would have to stop a falling rock.”
(from the sermon “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God” by Jonathan Edwards)

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
Romans 1:20
Poetry and picture by Heidi Viars
Scripture taken from the NASB

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Devotional, poetry, Ponderings, Revival and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to I Wonder If She Knows

1. Nigel Carter says:

Thank you, Heidi. Your reflection reminded me of that film of a few years ago, “The Matrix”, with its clever way of looking at what we consider to be reality, only from the perspective of an even bigger reality: a sort of looking at life from the outside. Your analogy of the spider, locked in her own tiny world is a great parable for most of our lives: focussed on our own concerns, unable to see that our Lord has a much larger perspective for us. (I’m very guilty of that!).

On a completely different subject: I love the photographs.

Best wishes, Nigel.

Such wisdom in your words, Nigel! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment … Your words of encouragement are much appreciated. Let’s continue to remind each other of the bigger picture and pray for the Father to give us His view. I am sure, if we ask Him, He does not hesitate to let us see 🙂
      Blessings to you!

2. Alice Lindner says:

Hallo Heidi,
    hab mir die tolle Aufnahme angesehen, deine Zeilen gelesen und finde beides sehr schön. Wenn man nur die Augen öffnet, kann man immer wieder Gottes Schöpfung bewundern.
    Wir haben Dich sehr lieb und vermissen Dich
    Mama und Papa

3. Hello again dear Heidi. Beautiful poem and the centre of the web reminds me that we should always keep our eye on the cross for we are the apple of His eye.

4. Wow…this came together beautifully!

Wow! What a blessing and a magnificent image and poem! The quote is so fitting, too. Very powerful post.

That spider web is a beautiful reminder of Jesus–in such an unsuspected place. And that imagery created by Jonathan Edwards is powerful–being pulled down to hell by our sins! Yikes! Your post reminded me of the magnitude of what Jesus did for me at Calvary. Thank you, Heidi, and thank you, Jesus!

It amazes me how and where God chooses to reveal His character to us. Let’s keep our eyes wide open 🙂 Thanks, Nancy, for your kind words of encouragement … Blessings to you!

7. Touching post– beautiful, power-drenched reminder of God’s sovereignty! He’s been reaching out to me and reiterating that He is more than enough and has all things under His control! Your lovely photo and words were soothing ointment this morning! Thank you!!

8. vonhonnauldt says:

Powerful words from Edwards. We don’t preach like that today. I think we’re the losers for it.
    I went out to work one morning and a spider was busily weaving a web from the ground to one of my truck’s tires. I watched in amazement as this creature wove a marvel of symmetry and beauty. It was a shame I had to destroy it to go to work.

Thank you for reading and commenting! You are right, we don’t hear preaching like this so much these days … it’s difficult to tell people they need saving when we don’t speak of what they need to be saved from. Creation speaks loudly of its Creator, if we stop to look 🙂

9. Heidi, this is a beautiful post in every way, and Romans 1:20 is the perfect encore.

10. cshowers says:

Heidi — that was absolutely powerful, giving everyone something to pray and ponder on. God bless you, my friend.

Love,
    Cheryl

11. I remember reading that sermon for English class before I became a Christian. This wasn’t a Christian school, but I believe this sermon was one of the things God used to draw me to Himself. Thanks for sharing!

12. Oh, Heidi. I have tears streaming down my face reading this! I needed to read this today more than you will ever know. You are truly a blessing in my life. Big hugs and much love and thanks sent your way! Skye

13. findingmyinnercourage says:

The cross the web and the words are captivating!

14. Caddo says:

I love the poem, Heidi–and the cross in the middle–and I also see a diamond shining in the center–WOW!!! God bless you BIG today–love, sis Caddo

15. Awesome, Heidi. I LOVE the photo with the cross and have always been a fan of Jonathan Edward’s writing. blessings