Whose House?

Kommern Freilichtmuseum, July 31, 2013 003This is my house, yet still not mine.

My heir will own it for a while.

And soon the third comes to reside,

Then when he’s done, gets dragged outside.

The fourth and fifth, too, don’t stay long.

Tell me, to Whom does it belong?

(I adapted this poem from German.
A great reminder that we really don’t own anything.)

“Father, remind me that it all belongs to You.
Show me how to bring You glory
with all that You have entrusted me with.

Thank You for allowing me to be Your steward.”

Kommern Freilichtmuseum, July 31, 2013 002

“for every animal of the forest is mine,
    and the cattle on a thousand hills.
Psalm 50:10

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Devotional, poetry, Prayer, Revival and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Whose House?

Such wisdom in that poem, to help us refocus on what’s important. Thank you for sharing, Heidi. i also love your comment to omtatjuan above: “I believe we own the things that are invisible … faith, hope, and most of all love.” Invisible, yes, but supremely valuable!

2. emeraldogzz says:

God bless you for sharing Heidi.

3. Thanks for the great reminder. We should always hold our things losely in our hands–trusting God for what He wants us to hold or give up, and knowing always that it’s all His.

4. Skye says:

Heidi, you have such an amazing gift. Thank you, Sweet Friend, for sharing it.

5. melodylowes says:

So true. We get all bunched up about ‘ownership’ – or lack thereof. A good reminder that all we gather in this life is sooner or later left to someone else! Only what we have done for god’s glory will last…

6. bennetta faire says:

Great poem, and I love the Psalms verse! God bless you.

Beautiful stewardship poem!

8. omtatjuan says:

I live in the house my father left me. I say I’m just the caretaker. Yes I pay the insurance and taxes but what truly do we own?

9. Rosemary says:

I do not know. Whose is it? I’m dying to know.

It belongs to the Lord 🙂 … just like everything! … this poem is a depicted in German on a plaque, mounted in my parent’s home. Thanks much for reading, Rosemary!

10. Lovely Heidi … so true!