Empty Hands

isaiah fiftyeightten
In October last year the Lord put something on my heart -send one shoebox size box with gift cards and notes of encouragement and prayer to one family devastated by Sandy. I had no idea where to start. God did. He directed the path and eventually 13 boxes with prayer cards and gift cards were sent to families on the east coast.

I’ve been changed since. I have seen God work in so many details and am convinced that He is able to use our tiniest offerings of love and help to bring His Light into a hurting world.

Here we are, only 7 months later. So many hurt and out of home and possessions. Words we want to speak to the hurt often fail.  However, our prayers never fail. We begin by asking God to change our hearts so they hurt for and with our neighbors. Then, as we desire to see with His eyes, we lift our empty hands toward heaven and ask Him to fill them for His cause.
He does fill them and uses us to point others to Christ.

I lift to You these hands of mine.

They’re empty cold and weak.

Please fill them with Your love divine,

Touch those who are in need.

They cannot work without You, Lord,

Alone can’t make a dent

In all the hurt this world affords

Nor pain and sorrow end.
Help me to pour what’s in my hand

Before Your throne of love,

Cause there the smallest deed will stand

Will point to You, my God.

Isaiah 40;8

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Devotional, poetry, Prayer and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Empty Hands

1. Heidi Viars says:

Oh the marvelous grace of our God, who uses us in ways we never think possible … I could spent hours talking about what He did once I gave Him my desire to help Sandy victims … I had no idea what He would do … and still don’t (if you like you can go over to http://boxesfromtheheart.net … a blog where I kept a journal of the happenings) … Thanks, Patty … lets stay inspired and challenged to love HIM with all our hearts and our neighbors as ourselves 🙂

2. This is a truly beautiful post. The poem and photos an expression your heart to reach out…I am inspired and challenged!

3. Ann says:

Heidi, I am so lifted up and encouraged every time I hear from you or read your blog 🙂 Thanks for being faithful to what God prompts you to do. You are such a blessing!

what a kind and TIMELY thing for you to say … I just returned from a early morning walk (it was only 36 degrees and I almost didn’t go) … I prayed on that walk through the woods and felt the enemy trying to press in with discouragement … what a blessing to find your encouragement here and what a blessing to have the Body of Christ here to help us stand firm against the enemy’s voices.
      So, you just have been a blessing, sister! I will continue to pray for you as the Spirit leads 🙂 Enjoy this day with HIM, it’s after all the Lord’s day!

4. Heidi, your lovely words and deeds are such an encouragement to the body of Christ to engage our hands in action rather than our hearts to despair. Wisely you remind us to begin with God in prayer…

What a wonderful Savior we have … who pours into our lives so that we might give back to those around us and point them to HIM … what a blessing to be called the children of God … Much love, dear friend!

5. Ben Nelson says:

Heidi, this poem is powerful, as is your giving.

Ben, thank you for your kind words, but here is the deal… I came into this world with nothing … and as it stands, I will take nothing with me (last time I checked there are no hitches on hearses) … it all belongs to Him … so what I give is not my own and therefore I can’t take credit for my giving 🙂 Blessings to you for always encouraging the body!!! Keep going, brother!

6. Heidi, you are a living example of a life poured out for God. Thanks for your lovely words and reminder that God can use the frailty of our lives to bless others. LOVE the poem!

7. Caddo-Jael says:

Oh this blessed me SO SO much, Heidi–what a lovely gesture, and you’re so right–if we just step out in faith/obedience, it seems like the greater blessing falls on us, quietly but drenching us with Him. Thanks so much for sharing–God bless you BIG–love, sis Caddo

Sis Caddo, you are so right, we are blessed when we walk in what He has created us for: to love Him and others … Thanks so much for always sharing from your abundant love for Him… you are a blessing!

8. pattisj says:

Love this poem. Some problems seem so large, and it’s easy to feel inadequate on our own. But we are not on our own, are we? Thank you for your obedience. I love your header photo.

9. theywhoseek says:

Heidi, I can hear your true hearts cry . . . and pray the Lord will fill all of our empty hands with His grace and mercy to pass along to those who are in need! ~ God Bless your soul ~

Deb, that is my prayer too! May He continue to remove all that which stands in the way of receiving His grace and mercy and that which hinders us to pass it along! Blessings to you, dear one.

10. Reblogged this on Prodigal Chick and commented:
    Beautiful!!! gifts of love……precious!

Really beautiful, Heidi . .He uses you to encourage us all. God bless you!

Thank you, Debbie for your words of encouragement … I pray we let Him lead us into the works He has prepared for us to do, so long ago … Blessings to you, dear blogging friend! Hope you are well 🙂

12. dulzimordash says:

Reblogged this on Spontaneous Creativity.