Be Careful

This morning, on the first day of deer hunting season, I grabbed the leash and my blaze-orange coat and headed for a walk with my 157-pound Great Dane. I felt quite noticeable -not only in my attire but also with what resembled a small deer at the end of my leash. As a native German in the northern United States and not having grown up with deer hunting, I still get nervous, despite so many years living here.

While I was walking and listening to the distant sound of the war on deer, I was reminded of how much we stick out as Christians in a war for souls. At times, just wearing our Christianity makes us vulnerable. In a culture that’s increasingly adapting to secularism we no longer blend in to our surroundings, and neither should we. While proclaiming the Word of Truth and Jesus as the only way to Heaven, we make a target and ourselves often unpopular.

The early morning air felt great. I wanted to keep walking but the sound of guns going off was getting louder. I decided to turn around when one particular gunshot sound was accompanied by whizzing.

When I came in the door, I told my husband about my encounter. He just said,

“You know dear, orange is not bullet-proof.”

Ephesians 6:19 —
“Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel.”

This entry was posted in Christian Poetry, Ponderings, Revival, Song. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Be Careful

1. Mary Sweeney says:

I’m so glad you and Thor are okay!
    I love the metaphors that The Holy Spirit gives you on your daily walks with Him. We all can learn so much from them.
    Happy Thanksgiving my dear friend!

2. Traveling as we are right now with 2 dozen people we’d never met before, I can relate to what you say about feeling like a target and getting the sense of some backing away when I say I counsel as a biblical specialist. But things became sweeter when a woman in the group (raised Jewish but not practicing) was excited to learn about what I do and has demonstrated a sincere interest with her questions. Just when I was tempted to take off my “orange jacket” and blend in God blessed me with a delightful new friend. Giving thanks . . . .

I am praying for you, as you keep wearing your faith. The Spirit is faithful, isn’t He! Giving thanks for you today and wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving 🙂

Oh yes Lord, help me stand out as brightly as Heidi in her orange jacket! / And thank you, Heidi, for reminding us: in this world, we WILL have trouble. But praise God, Jesus has overcome the world. (John 16:33) The war has already been won!

Yes, indeed Nancy… the war has been won! Thanks for always wearing your bright orange as you point us to the Scriptures and Jesus! Sending love your way, dear blogging-sister. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

4. Terri Nida says:

Beautiful dog! Love your writing, as always.

He is a great dog. Blessings to you, dear Terri, as you celebrate Thanksgiving. I love your boldness and also your love for God. Thank you for always pointing us to the Lord at your place and letting God use you despite your trial!

5. Sheesh…Glad you didn’t get hit by that bullet!

Thank you , Heidi , for this amazing reminder of how we stand out as Christians in this world . . .or should! :). So thankful you are okay, and your buddy too! If I knew how, I would be knitting bright orange sweaters for him and the deer! :). Love and prayers!

7. Heidi, I pray the Lord’s blessings for you and all His followers who stand out in this world.

8. Bill Sweeney says:

Heidi, that is a scary walk you took. “Orange isn’t bulletproof.” 🙂 That is a BIG dog! Even though orange isn’t bulletproof, I suggest you get your dog an orange jacket.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )